Pastoral Care

In New Zealand, we have a Code of Practice, known as pastoral care. It requires our education providers to make sure international students stay informed, are safe and treated well. View the Code of Practice.

At our campuses, we have Student Support Advisor, who you can see if you have any questions about your study or life in New Zealand and can help you to set up your life in New Zealand with a bank account, insurance information and transport help. The Student Support Advisor also does your orientation so you will meet her quickly and can ask her for any help you need from day one.

The International Student Support team can provide confidential assistance and advice on any questions or concerns you might have in adapting to study and life in New Zealand, including:

  • Information and advice on accommodation options
  • Coping with homesickness and cultural differences as you adjust to living in New Zealand
  • General health and wellbeing
  • Information and advice on accessing welfare facilities, including personal health services, mental health services, drug education and counselling, and problem gambling
  • Student advocacy and grievance procedures
  • New Zealand law and legal issues
  • Assistance to anyone who is facing difficulties

We also offer a confidential 24/7 counselling service provided off-campus by the Vitae organization. You are entitled to three free counselling sessions per year. You can access this with just your student ID number.


See our Code of Practice


In an emergency please call 111

WelTec/Whitireia has a 24/7 contact number for students to call if they need support during an emergency.

Emergency contact number for international students in Wellington, Petone and Porirua:
027 265 1343 (emergencies only)